Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sunday Mornings



One of my pleasures each Sunday morning is to watch CBS News Sunday Morning. It is a fresh show that has been on for many, many years. This is not a show that is going to give you the latest dirt on celebrities but rather we see the good in people. If you want to wake up and start a day feeling good about the world and the people that inhabit it I highly recommend this show.

This past Sunday two topics were discussed: The Peace Sign and Lenny Kravitz.

I did not realize that the Peace Sign is 50 years old this year. It has always been a symbol that I have been familiar with growing up along with the raising of two fingers. The hippie movement helped display this non-copy righted symbol for everyone to see in the art, their clothing and their desired ay of life.

I remember growing up during the Cold War when people were afraid of The Bomb. A movement started to disarm the world of their nuclear bombs. The Peace Sign is the combination of two symbols for N and D: Nuclear Disarmament. During the 60’s we would hold monthly bomb drills in our school classrooms. We would get under our desks and wait for the all clear sound. Thinking back I wonder how much protection my desk offered in case of a real nuclear bomb being dropped nearby.

I do not know if we will ever see, in our lifetime, a time where the world is free from conflict or war. But I do know that we can experience a time of personal inner peace, or shalom, through our relationship with Jesus. It is through this relationship that we can rely fully on Him to guide and leads us because He is our King.

May the movement to achieve peace never die. And many those seeking peace discover it.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


I always liked Lenny Kravitz’s music. But Sunday I got to see another side to this man, I like him even more.

Through the interview process we learn that he is the son of a very mixed marriage. His mom is black and his dad is white. His mom is Christian and his dad is Jewish. He says that he identifies himself as a follower of Jesus, but he did not discount his Jewishness. The diversity of growing up in this household must have been rich. In his homes he displays a large portrait of his late mother.

But then the topic of celibacy was mentioned. It turns out that Lenny is 3 years into a promised celibacy until he finds his perfect mate. Wow! This sex symbol is celibate, my wife thinks he is even hotter now. It is my hope that others will ear about this celibacy and embrace it and not belittle it. I can imagine a future marriage for Lenny Kravitz that is based on love and not on a physical feeling.

No comments: