Thursday, January 03, 2008

Journal Entry #9

Today was the second day of the new year and it was filled with busyness. I was on the go early this morning and it did not end until late into the night. The funny thing is that this has become a pattern for my life. I seem to be always on the move and rarely still.

I did manage to stop for a brief period of time at Starbucks today (I got a gift card for Christmas!). In my backpack I had several books to read in case I found a moment to stop and enjoy a cup of coffee. One of the books in my bag was “The Sabbath” by Abraham Heschel. I have given so many copies of this book to friends, it is one of my favorites and I have read it numerous times. It feels as if it is time to slowly reread this book again.

I have come to the realization that God does not exist in chaos. The franticness of life is void of God. To experience Him I must find a time and a place away from the craziness of life. One of my resolutions is to take a Sabbath each week. Heschel writes, “Six days a week we wrestle with world, wringing profits from the earth; on the Sabbath we especially care for the seed of eternity planted in our soul. The world has our hands, but our soul belongs to Someone Else.”

continue reading

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!